Selecting and Designing with Plants at Writtle University College



A common complaint from employers in Landscape Architecture is that graduates don’t have strong sufficient planting knowledge. Coming from the conversion route into the profession, this is something that I’m well aware of as a problem. I simply hadn’t had much exposure to planting in my previous career as a teacher.

Stepping into a completely new area of knowledge with its own alien language seemed quite daunting. But fortunately the School of Design recognised the need to support MA students with additional planting workshops. Resident plant expert  Dr Jill Raggett has led a weekly session since the start of the semester of our MA Landscape Architecture Course. Sessions have included plant identification, biological structures and understanding how to design with plants. A particular highlight has been the time spent exploring the rich examples of planting dotted around the campus. Seeing and touching each plant has really helped me picture how I might use it in future designs. Jill’s positive approach and infectious enthusiasm has made the whole experience enjoyable.

I have also felt the benefit of these sessions in my part-time work at a Landscape Architecture practice. I now feel more confident in making planting choices. It is also relieving to know that I can have a conversation with senior colleagues without sounding like a complete amateur! I look forward to continuing my exploration of plant knowledge under Jill’s skilled guidance.
Robert Browne, Student at MA Landscape Architecture at WUC

Post a Comment

0 Comments